In 2010 the Honors & Awards Committee began the SWATA "Most Distinguished Athletic Trainer" award. This award was developed for the purpose of recognizing a member of District VI whose dedicated service, past achievements, and professional contributions have furthered the advancement of the SWATA and the athletic training profession.
Candidates for the award must meet the following criteria for consideration of selection:
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years of professional service to the profession
- Certified or Associate member in good standing
- Be or have been a member of District VI, working, retired, or deceased
- Elected, appointed, or volunteer service or significant contributions to the SWATA
- SWATA Hall of Fame Members are not eligible for this award