"The Ethnic Diversity Advisory Council identifies and addresses issues relevant to the ethnic minority members and health care concerns affecting physically active ethnic minority individuals, the profession, and the association..." (from NATA EDAC Mission Statement)
The John Harvey Humanitarian Award was established in direct response and in the spirit of the above statement to recognize an athletic trainer who, throughout their career, has had a significant positive impact on ethnic minority athletic trainers or on physically active ethnic minority individuals.
Positive impact on ethnic minority athletic training education and service: A Houston native, John Harvey has influenced many athletic trainers through his long-time career and service to the profession. Ultimately, the John Harvey Humanitarian Award was created to honor his exemplary service and example.
Education: John attended Houston Jack Yates High School and Wiley College in Marshall, Texas where he earned his Bachelor of Science degree in 1966. He later earned a Master of Science degree from Prairie View A & M University in 1975.
Professional Experience: John has worked at the high school, college, and professional levels. His first job was with the Aldine ISD for two years. He then moved to the Austin ISD. In 1969 he became the Head Athletic Trainer at Prairie View A & M University until 1971. John returned to Houston to be the Head Athletic Trainer for the Houston ISD through 1974. Harvey later accepted the position as Head Athletic Trainer at Texas Southern University in 1974 and has remained there since.
- John has served on various NATA, SWATA, TSATA, and GHATS committees, including:
- SWATA Governmental Affairs Task Force
- SWATA Ethnic and Minority Advisory Committee (Chair, 1996-1998)
- NATA Ethnic and Minority Advisory Council, 1991-1997
- Appointed to the Texas Advisory Board of Athletic Training, 1997
Honors and Awards:
- Recipient of the 1996 Black Sports Media Athletic Trainer of the Year
- Inaugural recipient of the John Harvey Humanitarian Award, 2001
- NATA's Most Distinguished Athletic Trainer Award, 2002
- NATA's Bill Chisolm Professional Service Award, 2003
- SWATA Hall of Fame Charter Member, 2008
- Multiple presentations at local, state, and regional professional meetings
- Athletic Trainer, Houston Texas World Football Team, Summer 1974
- Home Game Athletic Training Staff, Houston Oilers, 1985-1996